Washington CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
Washington State Board of Accountancy
PO Box 9131
Olympia, WA 98507-9131
Phone: (360) 753-2586
Fax: (360) 664-9190
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON? YES!
Washington does not pre-approve CPE vendors or CPE courses aside from the required Washington Ethics and Regulations course. They will accept courses from NASBA sponsors. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of Washington without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours of CPE every 3 years.
- Minimum 20 credits each calendar year.
- A minimum 4 hour Board approved course in the area of Professional Ethics and Regulations with specific application to the practice of public accounting in Washington in each renewal period. PES course #4300: Ethics and Professional Conduct for Washington CPAs - 2023 Edition can be used towards fulfilling this requirement as it has been specifically approved by the Washington Board.
- A maximum of 60 hours in non-technical CPE subjects in each renewal period.
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- Triennially: next expiring 6.30.2022, 6.30.2023 and 6.30.2024 - dependent upon each individual license date – please contact the State Board for details related to your license expiration.
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- CPE must be completed by 12/31 of the year prior to expiration.
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. Washington recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 100%
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
Technical subjects include: Auditing standards or procedures; Compilation and review of financial statements; Financial statement preparation and disclosures; Attestation standards and procedures; Projection and forecast standards or procedures; Accounting and auditing; Management advisory services; Personal financial planning; Taxation; Management information services; Budgeting and cost analysis; Asset management; Professional ethics (other than those programs used to satisfy the specific ethics requirement; Specialized areas of industry; Human resource management; Economics; Business law; mathematics, statistics, and quantitative applications in business; Business management and organization; General computer skills, computer software training, information technology planning and management; and Negotiation or dispute resolution courses.
Non Technical subjects include: Communication skills; interpersonal management skills; leadership and personal development skills; client and public relations; practice development; motivational and behavioral courses; and speed reading and memory building.
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: All NASBA Fields of Study can be equated to a subject area listed by the WA Board of Accounting and therefore fields of study on PES completion certificates can be reported.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 01.01.23