Virginia CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
Virginia Board for Accountancy
9960 Mayland Drive, Ste 402
Henrico, Virginia 23233
Phone: (804) 367-8505
Fax: (804) 527-4409
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF VIRGINIA? YES!
Virginia does not require specific sponsorship approval (except for the Ethics course). Virginia will accept courses from NASBA sponsors. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of Virginia without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours / 3 years (this is a rolling three year period; meaning that each annual registration period you need to be able to show 120 hours of CPE completed during the past 3 year period).
- Minimum of 20 CPE credits per year.
- Individuals who release or authorize the release of reports on attest services, compilation services, or financial statement preparation services provided for persons or entities located in VA must obtain a minimum of 8 hours of CPE annually related to attest services, compilation services, or financial statement preparation services.
- Ethics Requirement: 2 CPE credits annually.
PLEASE NOTE: For 2023 the VA BOA requires:
1) that the sponsor be registered as an approved ethics provider with the VA Board of Accountancy, and
2) that the course be reviewed and approved by the VA BOA.
PES course #4225: 2023 Ethics and Professional Conduct for Virginia CPAs has been specifically reviewed and approved by the VA Board of Accountancy for the 2023 cpe reporting period.
- VA BOA Ethics Presentation 2023 Link:
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- Annually - June 30th of each year.
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- 1/1 to 12/31 (over three year rolling calendar year period).
the 06.30.2023 renewal will look at 2020, 2021 and 2022 CPE
the 06.30.2024 renewal will look at 2021, 2022 and 2023 CPE
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. PES courses are deemed "interactive" as they provide the "ongoing interactive feedback" per the board rules and the AICPA / NASBA statement of standards. Virginia recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 100%
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
Regulations state: "course content pertinent to the profession"
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: VA does not specific fields of study; therefore the NASBA fields of study noted on PES certificates can be reported to the Board.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 4.5.2023