Home > CPE Requirements > Texas
Texas CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
Texas State Board of Public Accountancy
333 Guadalupe, Tower III, Suite 900
Austin, Texas 78701-3900
Phone: (512) 305-7800
Fax: (512) 305-7875
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF TEXAS?
Sponsors must register with the board as a "Texas board contracted CPE provider". PES is listed as a Board contracted sponsor with the Texas Board of Accountancy (PES ID: #005928). Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is also registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of Texas without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours / 3 years (this is a rolling 3 year period, meaning that every year that the licensee registers, they must show 120 hours of CPE over the previous 3 year period ending with their license expiration date)
- Minimum of 20 hours / year
- Licensee must claim at least 50% of the total CPE hours required from TECHNICAL areas of study in any three-year reporting period
- Licensee may not claim more than 50% of the total CPE hours required from NON-TECHNICAL areas of study in any three-year reporting period
- 4 hours of a Board approved ethics course every 2 years. Both PES courses 4160: A CPA's Guidebook to Ethical Behavior for Texas CPAs and 4970: Managing Ethical Dilemmas for Texas CPAs will fulfill this ethics requirement and have both been specifically reviewed and approved by the Board of Accountancy. PLEASE NOTE: A licensee who does not reside in the state of Texas, who has no clients within the state of Texas, and who is current with the ethics course requirements of the state of residence, is not required to take the ethics course mandated here.
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- Annual based on birth month
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- Report by end of birth month - on expiration year
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. Texas recognizes the same credit measurement, therefore Texas CPAs can claim PES courses for full credit.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 100%
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
Courses the Board regards as increasing the licensee’s professional competence include:
Technical Courses such as but not limited to: accounting, attest, tax, management advisory services, economics, finance, information technology, regulatory ethics and other technical areas of benefit to a licensee and a licensee's employer(s);
Non Technical Areas of Study such as but not limited to: communications, computer software and applications, behavioral ethics, behavioral science, business management and organization, and advanced courses in foreign languages, which relate and benefit a licensee and / or their employer.
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: The NASBA fields of study can be equated to the fields specifically listed by the TX Board of accountancy and therefore courses listed on PES certificates of completion should be able to be reported to the TX Board.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. Updated 3/12/2019.
(PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here.)Back to top