South Dakota CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
South Dakota Board of Accountancy
301 East 14th Street, Ste 200
Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104-5022
Phone: (605) 367-5770
Fax: (605) 367-5773
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA? YES!
South Dakota accepts NASBA QAS courses. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA QAS (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of South Dakota without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours of CPE every 3 years. (This is a rolling 3 year period, meaning that every year that the licensee registers, they must show 120 hours of CPE over the previous 3 year period - completed by 6/30 of the current year.)
- Minimum of 20 hours per/year
- Maximum of 24 hours in behavioral courses or motivational courses
- There is no limit on personal development courses (defined as a field of study that covers such skills as communication, managing the group process, dealing effectively with others, interviewing, counseling, and career planning) but they need to still maintain or improve the CPA's competency
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- CPE must be completed by 6/30
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. South Dakota recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 100%
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
Acceptable subjects include: Accounting, assurance/auditing, consulting services, specialized knowledge and applications, management, taxation, and ethics. Other subjects, including personal development, may be acceptable if they maintain or improve the CPA's and PA's competence.
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: The NASBA Fields of Study can be equated to an acceptable area of study as listed in the Board Rules. All fields of the study noted on PES completion certificates should be able to be reported on the SD renewal form.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 03.22.22