Rhode Island CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
Rhode Island Board of Accountancy
560 Jefferson Blvd 1st Floor
Warwick, RI 02886
Phone: (401) 889-5446
Fax: (401) 889-5535
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF RHODE ISLAND? YES!
Rhode Island does not pre-approve continuing education programs or sponsors and they DO NOT have sponsorship agreements. They will accept courses from NASBA sponsors. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of Rhode Island without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 3 year renewal period - June 30th - based on the licensee's personal expiration year.
- 120 hours every 3 years.
- Maximum of 24 hours is allowed in Personal Development and Marketing which the Board has stated includes: Communications; Business Management and Organization; Personal Development; Personnel and/or human resources; and Marketing.
- 6 of the 120 hours over the three years reported must be in the area of professional ethics. This requirement may be fulfilled by a state specific and/or general ethics courses. PES course #4905: Ethics and Professional Conduct for Rhode Island CPAs fulfills this requirement as do our general ethics courses.
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- Three year term based on personal expiration date (6/30/xx).
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- CPE must be completed on or before June 30th expiration date
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. Rhode Island recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 80%
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
The following subject areas will qualify for CPE hours: Accounting and Auditing; Technical Business Subjects (which includes consulting services, management, specialized knowledge and applications, and taxes); Personal Development and Marketing (which includes communications, business management and organization, personal development, personnel and/or human resources, and marketing); and Ethics. Details regarding each area can be found on the Board's website under rules and regulations.
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: All of the NASBA fields of study can be equated to a RI Board listed/defined field of study and therefore all fields of study on PES certificates should be able to be reported to the Board.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 03.23.22