New Mexico CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
New Mexico State Board of Public Accountancy
5500 San Antonio Dr. NE Ste A
Albuquerque, NM 87109
Phone: (505) 222-9850
Fax: (505) 222-9855
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO? YES!
New Mexico does not pre-approve continuing education programs or sponsors and they DO NOT have sponsorship agreements. They will accept (but does not require) courses from NASBA sponsors. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of New Mexico without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours every 3 years. The three year CPE requirement is a rolling three year period. Meaning that every renewal date (each year), you must show 120 hours of CPE in the previous three years.
- Minimum of 20 hours per year.
- Minimum of 96 of the 120 hours need to be in technical subjects such as: audit; attestation; financial reporting; tax, management consulting; financial advisory or consulting; and other areas acceptable to the Board as directly related to the professional competence of the individual.
- A minimum of 24 hours shall be taken outside the individual's firm.
- Ethics requirement: 4 hours of ethics CPE will be required as part of the 120 hour/3 year cycle. General and/or state specific ethics is acceptable. PES course 4915: Ethics and Professional Conduct for New Mexico CPAs can be used to fulfill this requirement as can any PES general ethics course.
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- Annually based on birth month.
- Each license is issued for a one-year period. It is effective the first day of the month following the holder's birth month and expires on the last day of the holder's birth month in the following year (EXAMPLE: if you are born in May, your annual period is June 01 to May 31st annually).
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- CPE must be completed and reported by the annual expiration date.
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. New Mexico recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 100%
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
Rules reference the NASBA / AICPA guidelines.
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: The rules reference that the board will accept programs meeting the standards set forth in the NASBPA CPE registry, AICPA guidelines and NASBA QAS services. Therefore all fields of study noted on PES certificates of completion can be reported for NM.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 03.22.22