New Jersey CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
New Jersey State Board of Accountancy
124 Halsey Street, 6th Floor
PO BOX 45000
Newark, New Jersey 07101
Phone: (973) 504-6380
Fax: (973) 648-2855
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY? YES!
Self-study courses must be taken from NASBA registered sponsors. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of New Jersey without any problems. We are also registered with the NJ Board directly, our sponsor number for New Jersey is 20CE00108400.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours of CPE every 3 years.
- Minimum of 20 hours per year.
- At least 24 hours in the areas of accounting or auditing, which may include review and compilation, for licensees who are engaged in the practice of public accountancy.
- At least 60 must be completed in technical subjects as defined by the board.
- 4 hours of New Jersey Law and Ethics every 3 years. Per Board regulations, the ethics course is required to be presented through "in-person" instruction which is "interactive". Refer to the State Board for a list of approved courses (contact information above).
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- Triennially 2023, 2026, etc.
- Current CPE period is 1/1/2021 to 12/31/2023.
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- CPE must be completed 12/31 of expiration year.
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. New Jersey recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 100% (except the ethics course)
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
Technical Areas of Study: Accounting; Auditing, including, but not limited to, review, compilation and attest standards; Business law; Computer Science; Economics; Finance; Management advisory services; Mathematics, statistics, etc.; SEC practice; Taxation; and Professional ethics. Any of these subjects may be in specialized areas, such as governmental, not-for-profit organizations, film industry, real estate, and farming.
Other Qualifying Subjects: Subjects other than those listed above may be acceptable for continuing professional education credit if the licensee can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Board that such subject or specific program contributes to the maintenance of the licensee's professional competence.
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: The fields of study specifically listed by the NJ Board can all be equated to a NASBA field of study. Therefore all fields of study noted on PES certificates should be able to be reported to NJ.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 03.22.22