Minnesota CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
Minnesota State Board of Accountancy
85 East 7th Place, Suite 125
St. Paul, Minnesota 55101
Phone: (651) 296-7938
Fax: (651) 282-2644
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF MINNESOTA? YES!
All self-study CPE must be taken from sponsors listed on the NASBA registry. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of Minnesota without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours of CPE every 3 yrs (this is a "rolling calendar" - meaning that when you report, you must show that you have completed 120 hours of CPE during the previous three fiscal years.)
- Minimum of 20 hours a year.
- 8 hours of the 120 shall be in accounting or business ethics. PES course 5220: Ethics and Professional Conduct for Minnesota CPAs can be used towards fulfilling this requirement, as will any PES general ethics course.
- A minimum of sixty (60) of the total 120 hours must be obtained from technical activities as defined in the NASBA Fields of Study (see below).
- At least 24 of the 120 hours must be obtained from attending group or blended learning programs (not self-study).
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- All licenses will be renewed 12/31 annually.
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- CPE is completed on a fiscal year basis (07/01 to 6/30 annually) reported by 12/31 annually.
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. Minnesota recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 80% (96 hours total)
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
As of January 2018 the MN rules reference the NASBA Statement on CPE Standards including the NASBA Fields of Study. The rules require a minimum of 60 hours be obtained in technical activities as defined in the NASBA Fields of Study. The following fields of study are defined as technical: Accounting, Accounting: Governmental, Auditing, Auditing; Governmental, Business Law, Economics, Finance, Information Technology, Management Services, Regulatory Ethics, Specialized Knowledge, Statistics, and Taxes.
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: All of the current NASBA fields of study noted on PES certificates of completion are recognized and can be reported for CPE in Minnesota.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 03.21.22