Illinois CPE Requirements
BOARD INFORMATION FOR REFERRALS:
Illinois Department of Professional Regulation
Public Accountancy Section
320 West Washington Street, 3rd Floor
Springfield, Illinois 62786-0001
Phone: (217) 785-0800 or (800) 560-6420
Fax: (217) 782-7645
DO PES COURSES QUALIFY FOR CPE IN THE STATE OF ILLINOIS? YES!
The board requires that sponsors register with the state board. Our sponsor number for Illinois is 158-001075.
In addition, courses offered outside of Illinois by sponsors registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) shall be considered approved. Professional Education Services, LP (PES) is registered with NASBA (#103592) on the National Registry of CPE sponsors and has issued credits in the state of Illinois without any problems.
LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION:
- 120 hours of CPE every 3 years.
- 4 hours of ethics CPE each renewal period. The following PES course fulfills this requirement: 4900: Ethics and Professional Conduct for Illinois CPAs, as will any PES general ethics course.
- 24 hour maximum in the field of Personal Development.
- CPAs must complete one hour of sexual harassment prevention training for their renewal. The course shall be presented in a classroom setting, a webinar or online. PES does not have a course to fulfill this requirement, visit the Board's website listed above for more information.
LICENSE EXPIRATION INFORMATION:
- Registrant must register triennially by 9/30/2021 and every 3-year period following.
CPE COMPLETION DUE BY:
- CPE must be completed on or preceding the 9/30 license expiration date.
SELF STUDY CREDIT HOURS:
Credits granted for PES courses are based on the AICPA and NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) statement of standards which grant 1 CPE credit for every 50-minutes of study time. Illinois recognizes the same credit measurement.
MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE SELF STUDY CREDITS: 80 Hours
Registrant may claim up to 80 hours*** for a formal self-study program in any renewal period.
***(NOTE: 80 hours total is allowed for a combination of non-interactive self-study and interactive self-study. Therefore, since PES courses are interactive per the standards, Illinois CPAs could take a total of 80 CPE credits of PES courses.)
ACCEPTABLE AREAS OF STUDY:
Accounting, Accounting (Governmental), Administrative Practice, Auditing, Auditing (Governmental), Behavioral Ethics, Business Law, Business Management & Organization (including practice development), Communications, Computer Science, Economics, Finance, Management Advisory Services, Marketing, Mathematics, Personal Development (e.g., principle-centered leadership, career planning, time management), Personnel/HR, Production, Regulatory Ethics, Social Environment of Business, Specialized Knowledge and Applications, Statistics, Taxes
NASBA FIELD OF STUDY SYNOPSIS: The fields of study listed by the Board can all be equated to a NASBA field of study. Therefore, all fields of study noted on PES certificates should be able to be reported.
If you have any questions regarding your CPE requirements, please call PES at 1-800-990-2731 or your State board. PLEASE NOTE: Since state board regulations are constantly changing, the information contained here is deemed reliable however it is not guaranteed. We encourage you to contact your state board to answer any questions and confirm or clarify any requirements listed here. Information updated 03.18.22